In this project, we aim to bring the passion of a dozen core volunteers to a developing Asian country for charity work centered on education. Our intentions are:
- To interact with and enlighten children through various engaging classroom and outdoor activities
- To involve volunteers with various different interests (such as art, language and sport) in the designing of those activities
- To share our passion towards learning with rural areas and inspire those we come into contact with
- To become more aware of development issues through first hand experience and exchange of cultural values with the host community
- And above all, to build a foundation of trust and mutual respect with the local community, on which we can co-ordinate a second trip next year.
Construction of the school
In November 2010, we established partnership with New Futures Organization (NFO), an NGO based in Cambodia; and from 15th to 19th December 2010, three members of our committee visited Cambodia for a preliminary trip, where they met the local committee of NFO to negotiate the actual details of school building. Since then, we have raised a total of GBP 5000 for the construction of the school, and the building of the school is due to be completed by August, 2011.
Summer Service Trip 2011
At CHOICE, we believe that the value of the experience for both volunteers as well as the local host parties involved would far exceed what we would achieve by merely sending the money to the country that we are trying to help. Our goal is not simply about the physical materialization our project would generate, but the cultural exchange, the gruel, the labour, and ultimately the incomparable sense of accomplishment that would come from the dedication and involvement in such a project.
To achieve that goal, CHOICE has organized a Summer Trip to Takeo, Cambodia from 15th to 21st September 2011, during which we will help build furniture for and decorate our newly constructed school. We will also be visiting the orphanage under NFO, where we will play some simple educational games with the orphans. Currently, we have recruited 20 volunteers to join us in our effort. It is our hope that after joining our trip, volunteers will understand that as young people we can make a difference, and be motivated to proactively participate in CHOICE and other volunteering programmes.